Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

ICD-10 Medical Coding and You

B'SD

2 Av, 5773

It's a somber time on the Jewish calendar, the first 9 Days of Av. They culminate on a day on which we pray very hard to continue to improve our characters and to earn the Messianic era.

In my day-to-day life of pursuing knowledge about medical information to benefit my readers, I took a hard look at this April news item from MedPage Today some time ago:

Docs’ Charting Falls Short of ICD-10 Demands  
SAN FRANCISCO -- Nearly 65% of clinical documentation doesn’t contain enough information for coders to use for billing under the upcoming ICD-10coding system, a survey of patient charts found.full story


I understood a serious need to know 
what ICD-10 coding portends for us mortals.

Today I enrolled in a Health Information Management aka Medical Coding Skills course in which I'll learn  ICD-10 medical coding. It becomes effective in October 2014. 

Controversial and PRICEY Obamacare probably goes into effect after mid-term 2014 elections. Some timing for a Healthcare Affordability Act, hmmm? 

Medical coding, by the way, is a means of translating entire medical records into a series of numbers. Those numbers tell insurers, medical researchers and other people in the medical world 


  • Exactly what the patient suffered from, 
  • What was done to relieve their situation, and 
  • What failed 

without having to read lots and lots and LOTS of medical documents.

Medical coding is a sophisticated method of communication that accomplishes many positive purposes. I've only given you a brief overview of all that in this blogpost.

Let me know if you have questions about the forthcoming changes to worldwide medical coding practices. I'll answer them if I can.




Buy the E-book or print edition of cost-cutting, question-answering and soothing EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge today! 

Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism. 

Face change with adequate information.


 

No comments: