Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Healthy Respect and The Power of Compassion


16 Sivan 5768

MY BOOK reminds people to thank and to smile at medical staff who help them in any manner, even when the treatment is hard to take. Why? Because there is plenty of behind-the-scenes medical drama that patients need to know about. Simple decency calls for you to be gracious to the professionals helping you and to appreciate the effect of your kindnesses to others.

I thank the Partners in Kindness organization for permitting me to share the following excerpt from their free KIND WORDS E-mail service with you as an illustration of my remarks above:


KIND WORDS
View with Compassion

"Life is a Test"The author wishes to remain anonymous
Edited by Shmuel Greenbaum
Printed with Permission of
http://www.partnersinkindness.org/

This morning I had to go for a blood test and EKG in preparation for upcoming surgery. After the blood test, I was waiting in line for my turn for the EKG when my cell phone rang. It was the nurse who had administered the blood test, telling me that she had forgotten to fill a second tube with blood for an additional test and I would have to return to the lab right away.

After the EKG, I went back to the lab. The nurse was waiting for me, and apologized profusely for her mistake. In that instant I thought about how fortunate we are to have such beautiful modern health care facilities that are improving all the time, and health care professionals who are doing the best they can to give kind and thoughtful service -- and I smiled at her and told her that it's okay, things like this happen sometimes and it's all for the best. "Some people would be angry and yell at me," she said and added, "thank you for being so nice."

We both had a good feeling and wished each other a wonderful day and good health. I felt great all day and I have a feeling she did, too!
-----------------------------------------------------------------




To your good health AND that of your medical care professionals,

Yojeved Golani
Coping with a Medical Crisis?
Make the Changes You Need in Your Life.


No comments: